John Armstrong has posted an outstanding 4-part article describing how the Higgs mechanism actually works. But this isn’t the usual pop-sci/lame metaphor approach. No sir, he tackles the mathematics, covering the basics of Lagrangians, gauge theory, and symmetry-breaking. I’m rather astonished that he was able to cover the high-points of some of the most important aspects of modern physics in such a brief treatment.
Glen Mark Martin
MCSE-Messaging. Exchange Administrator at the University of Texas at Austin. Unrepentant armchair physicist.
- Henrietta Leavitt and the Cepheid Variables April 27, 2013
- Laplace’s Method – the Saddle-Point Approximation April 14, 2013
- The Derivation of the Schrödinger Equation March 27, 2013
- The Planck Collaboration Opens The Kimono March 22, 2013
- Desperately Seeking SUSY! March 3, 2013
- A Nobel Prize for Very Clever Quantum Experiments October 12, 2012
- Nobel Prize Rumors and the Higgs Boson October 8, 2012
- Behind the Warp Drive Hype September 23, 2012
- In Other News…. August 11, 2012
- 100 Years of Cosmic Ray Physics August 10, 2012