John Armstrong has posted an outstanding 4-part article describing how the Higgs mechanism actually works. But this isn’t the usual pop-sci/lame metaphor approach. No sir, he tackles the mathematics, covering the basics of Lagrangians, gauge theory, and symmetry-breaking. I’m rather astonished that he was able to cover the high-points of some of the most important aspects of modern physics in such a brief treatment.
Glen Mark Martin
MCSE-Messaging. Exchange Administrator at the University of Texas at Austin. Unrepentant armchair physicist.
- BICEP2 Redux: How the Sausage is Made July 5, 2014
- BICEP2 Takes a Peek at Cosmic Inflation March 23, 2014
- No, Hawking Isn’t Saying There Are No Black Holes January 29, 2014
- The Story of Quarks – Part I January 5, 2014
- “Right! What’s a Parsec?” December 24, 2013
- Dr. David P. Anderson Lecture: “Do You Have What It Takes to Be a Citizen Scientist?” November 9, 2013
- Bits & Pieces July 28, 2013
- Even more Susskind Lectures July 21, 2013
- Henrietta Leavitt and the Cepheid Variables April 27, 2013
- Laplace’s Method – the Saddle-Point Approximation April 14, 2013
- Asimov's Predictions for 2014
- Reflections On Sagan's Cosmos
- So Many Misconceptions, So Little Time....
- Continuing on with a LotR theme....
- Genealogy + Tolkien = Far Too Much Time Burned
- 2013: A Great Year for Comet Viewing
- The Feynman Interviews
- The Centenary of the Sinking of RMS Titanic
- Film Review: "John Carter"
- The 411 on the PPACA